It is important to give your mouth guard a good cleaning each morning when you are done wearing it, below I will share some tips and tricks on how to clean a mouth guard in a way that will keep it fresh and hygienic and also increase the lifespan of the guard.
- One of the easiest ways I have found is to use your toothbrush and warm water when you are done brushing your teeth and give the mouth guard a good scrub and then rinse it off and put it back in its case.
- Another popular way to clean your mouth guard is to just use soap and water with your fingers in the sink.
My Basic Cleaning Routine: How to clean a mouth guard
1. Take the mouth guard in the morning and place it in a glass next to my bed, when I go to the bathroom I rinse the guard with warm water and then fill the glass so it covers the mouth guard.
2. Then I pop in a mouth guard cleaning tablet and let it fizz while I am brushing my teeth and finishing up my bathroom routine.
3. When the tablet is done cleaning and no longer fizzing I take the mouth guard out of the glass and brush it a little with warm water and my toothbrush, the I dry it using a clean towel or something handy and stick it back in its case.
There are other ways of cleaning a mouth guard, like using mouthwash but they are not recommended because they tend to be hard on the plastics that the mouth guard is made of and will result in a shorter overall lifespan.
If you are interested in specific products that will help you clean your mouth guard in an easy and convenient manner check out our cleaning tablet reviews below.
Top 5 Choices for Dental Cleaning Tablets
With this routine in mind, here is a list of dental cleaning tablets that you should check out before starting your habit of cleaning your mouth guard the right way every time.
DentalDuty offers a convenient solution for hygiene around your mouth guard routines. The powerful cleaning agents contained in these denture cleanser tablets create a super-effective blue solution that also fights tartar, helps reduce plaque and protects gums from gingivitis, as well. It seems that the formula has changed recently. Comes in a 120 count box which is a total supply of 4 months if you use 1 tablet daily.
They seem to have hit the sweet spot, gentle and safe enough to store your night guard all-day but strong enough to get the job done in just a few short minutes before bed just in case you forget in the morning. Simply open a CleanGuard package, drop the two tabs into a cup of water, and then add your night guard. These little tablets provide a tough bacteria-busting solution in a gentle non-abrasive formula, perfect for your nightly appliance.
3. M3 Premium
M3 Dental Cleaner offers a newer cleaning solution that works great and reviewers love! With a fresh look and a 4.6 out of 5 on Amazon, purchasers are switching from leading name brand cleaner tablets and not looking back. Comes in a 90 count box which is a 3 months supply. You only need to use 1 a day to keep your mouth guard clean and minty fresh with no chemical after taste.
Efferdent cleanser tablets help to keep full plate dentures, partials, retainers, and other dental appliances fresh and clean, removing stains and odor. Comes in a 120 or 240 count boxes which is a total supply of 4 or 7 months if you use 1 tablet daily. Designed to fight plaque and odor, Removes stains and keeps your dental appliance fresh and clean These dissolvable tablets are easy to use and convenient to store.
RetainerBrite seems to have changed the product ingredients along with the box redesign. “Formula now more environmentally friendly per new FDA regulations!” Reviewers are not thrilled with the new look or formula saying that it does not work the same as before and they will be looking for alternatives. Individually Wrapped. Just drop one tablet into warm tap water and soak your Dental appliance for 15 minutes.